Welcome to our Blog


Family ~ "What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories." ~ George Eliot

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

(Poem) - For Jimmy and Me


(As a child, our mom, Marie W, Sperry Powell memorized this for a Christmas program.)


For Jimmy and Me

'Twas Christmas Eve and a mother sat
Close by the fireside there.
She was youthful still, but her beautiful face
Was marked with lines of care.
"I never knew" she whispered low
"That a Christmas cold be so dark!"
And she sobbingly pressed a little brown shoe
Close to her aching heart.
As she rocked to and fro still thinking
Of that beautiful Christmas before,
Suddenly, out of the stillness came
A timid knock at the door.
And there stood a ragged urchin,
Tired and pale and thin.
"I'm tired of looking for Mamma.
Say, couldn't you let me in?"
"I've been alone since the morning.
I don't know what it's about.
They say my mamma's in heaven,
But I saw them carry her out.
I sat awhile on the doorstep.
I thought maybe they'd come back for me.
Until I got tired an' lonesome,
And hungry an 'cold as can be."
"An' that man with the big gold buttons
Told me to "move along,"
But he smiled after I told him
I hadn't done anything wrong.
An' he showed me the way to your doorstep
An' said if I'd be real polite,
That perhaps you would give me some supper
An' -- an' a place to sleep tonight."
And she looked at him with compassion
And thought of her own little Jim.
"Somebody's darling" she whispered
and willingly let him in.
And after he had his supper
She tucked him away to bed,
And thought of the blessed Christ Child,
Who had no place for his head.